Ok guys I will do this in English because the German readers interested in the topic will understand it anyway.
As you might probably know I have been thinking of buying a new graphics card for a while now.
Add the fact that my normal desktop resolution of 1024×768 is really beginning to annoy me because I can’t run Photoshop + Dreamweaver with the workspace I’d like to have, I need to get a new monitor (LCD …). My old 17″ Dell does only 60 Hz refresh rate in my desired 1280×1024 resolution, and this makes me wanna dump it.
So my shopping profile is smth like this (i may have gotten carried away with all the sales strategies these new tech sites use):
19″ flat screen display with native resolution 1280×1024 and fast (= 8 ms) reaction time
The Hyundai L90D+ looks like the one to get atm. Cheapest price EUR 395.
- I understand TFT = LCD is the same thing ?
- The recommended native resolution is „1280×1024@60Hz“ – will those 60 Hz make my eyes bleed again ?! Or is it just not the same as my old CRT monitor running at 60 Hz ?
- Is not using the native resolution really that bad (the LCD monitor has to interpolate) ?
Now, onwards to the graphics card. Right now, I have a Sapphire ATI Radeon 9600 XT in my AGP slot (= no PCI-Express here !). My CPU is an AMD Athlon XP 2800+. The new gfx card must in any case give me a performance boost, or it’s not worth upgrading. At the moment I mainly (= only) play Red Orchestra (Unreal Tournament 2004) , but was playing Doom 3 and Half Life 2 and will be playing Battlefield 2. My monitor of choice should have me playing in 1280×1024 which is clearly demanding for a graphics card, especially with the AA (Anti Aliasing, screenshot) and the AF (Anisotropic Filtering, screenshot) turned on.
- How much video RAM do I need ? 128 or 256 mb ? How much does this affect performance ?
- How many FPS are enough ? Tom’s Hardware says 60 FPS is good – but that would mean I’d have to go high-end (see HL2 performance comparison (1280×1024, 4xAA, 8xAF) bottom of page) ?
My scientific research leads to this table, prices from www.hardwareschotte.de not representative but indicators:
|GeForce 6600||128 meg
|GeForce 6600 GT||128 meg
|GeForce 6800||128 meg
|Radeon X800 SE||256 meg||EUR 269|
|GeForce 6800 GT||128 meg
|Radeon X800 XL||256 meg||EUR 295|
|Radeon X800 Pro||256 meg||EUR 315|
|Radeon X800 XT||256 meg||EUR 347|
|GeForce 6800 Ultra||256 meg||EUR 390|
|Radeon X850 Pro||256 meg||EUR 406|
|Radeon X850 XT||256 meg||EUR 414|
Currencies: EUR x 0.70 = GBP
OK ladies – opinions please ! Which gfx chipset will give me the needed performance + best value for money ? Has anyone got own experiences ? Use the comment function please.